Carrot and Poppyseed Loaf

Sunday 4 September 2016



We love carrot cake in this house. You probably have noticed, I'm sure. I have a delicious recipe for a Scrummy Carrot Cakeon here (this one has pineapple and shredded coconut in it, with a cream cheese frosting), plus another delicious recipe for a Simple Carrot Cake. (This one has plump sultanas and a lemon glaze.)




Today I want to showcase another deliciously different way to use carrots  . . . Carrot and Poppy Seed Loaf.  Incredibly moist, moreishly addictive and flavoured with brown sugar and the crunch of poppyseeds . . .



I love tea breads.  They are the perfect size and shape to cut into slices.  And they are always so moreish and delicious.



This one has an orange sugar glaze that you brush on the loaf while it's still warm, so that some of it soaks into the warm cake, and some stays on the surface, creating another depth of sweet crunch . . . and oranginess . . .



Cut into slices and spread with butter . . . or not . . . it's up to you.  This makes for the perfect Sunday afternoon indulgence . . .



I am absolutely positive that you will enoy this delicious teatime treat. It is perfect with a hot drink for elevensies as well, or you could make carrot cake sandwiches to take in a bagged lunch . . . just  spread cream cheese in the centre of two slices, or a cream sheese frosting . . .



You could also cream together some cream cheese and bitter orange marmalade to serve with it for spreading. Oh so very scrumptious!

Nom!! Nom!!



*Carrot and Poppy Seed Loaf*
makes one 9 by 5 inch loaf
Printable Recipe

An unsual quick bread using carrots and poppyseeds together and topped with crunchy orange sugar topping. Moist and delicious.

150ml of vegetable oil (generous 5 fluid ounces)
2 medium free range eggs, beaten
175g soft light brown sugar (3/4 cup packed)
350g of carrots, peeled and grated (6 medium sized carrots)
1 TBS poppyseeds
200g self raising flour (1 3/4 cup)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice (see recipe in right hand side bar of page)

For the topping:
the zest of one orange, finely grated
the juice of 1/2 orange
95g of granulated sugar

Preheat the oven to 150*C/300*F/ gas mark 2. Butter a 9 by 5 inch loaf tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.

Beat the eggs together with the brown sugar and vegetable oil. Stir in the carrots and poppyseeds. Sift the flour, baking powder and mixed spice together. Stir this into the wet mixture, stirring to mix well together. Spoon into the prepared baking tin and smooth the top. Bake for 1 hour, to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let stand in the tin for about 5 minutes, then carefully tip out and place right side up on a wire rack.

Whisk together the topping ingredients and then spoon slowly over top of the hot cake, a bit at a time, allowing it to be absorbed each time. Allow to cool completely before cutting into slices to eat, with or without butter.

Note: If you are really feeling hedonistic, you can put a cream cheese icing on top as well. Scrummo!!


Happy Sunday and Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. Now, this is my kind of cake! I love lemon poppyseed cake, but have never thought to do it with carrot - and that orange glaze would be perfect. I can smell it already. I'll add it to my "to bake" list.

    I'm very grateful by the way for your list of spice and seasoning mixes. I had cause to refer to them yesterday as I made this cake, which called for "pumpkin pie spices" and I used your blend. It was ideal (and a great cake, though I didn't do the caramel glaze as the cake was beautifully moist without it - plus I have no idea what light corn syrup is, ha, ha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love it Marie! It's very good! Light corn syrup is a type of syrup of a similar consistency to Golden Syrup, except it has no colour at all. They also have a dark corn syrup in the US, which is darker in colour. Use golden syrup and you can't go wrong! But having said that, upon looking at the recipe I think if you could get Maple Syrup that would be even better!! xo

      Delete
    2. Maple syrup is a great idea. We can actually get that here. No Golden Syrup, alas. But they do sell baking syrups made from beet sugar that come in white, light and dark varieties so I guess they are similar things. I know I combine the light and dark to make something close enough to Golden Syrup for when I make ANZAC biscuits.

      Delete
    3. I would imagine they are very similar to corn syrup Marie! Let me know how you get on if you use Maple syrup! I am intrigued! xo

      Delete
  2. Looks as tasty as all your dessert recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say Monique I really miss dessert. I haven't managed yet to come up with a sugar sub that cuts the mustard! All fall short. I guess I will have to resign myself to enjoying a tiny bit every now and again. xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!