Whole Lemon Muffins

Sunday 30 June 2013

 photo SAM_6750_zps670ce321.jpg

Just look at what I was recently sent to try out.   Yes, that's a lovely Tassimo machine by Bosch.   My daughter Eileen, in Canada, got one of these as a wedding gift last year, and I was green with envy, so when Tassimo contacted me several months ago asking me if I would like to try one out I didn't have to think twice before I gave them a resounding yes!

Before anyone says anything, yes . . . I am a Mormon, which means I don't drink tea or coffee, but that's doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good hot chocolate once in a while!  I have had another pod hot drinks machine for several years now and I thought it made pretty good hot chocolate . . . until now.

We've been using the Tassimo machine here at Casa de Rayner for about two weeks now, and I have to say in all honesty . . .  the Tassimo makes better hot chocolate than my old machine, seriously.  Not a word of a lie.

  photo SAM_6831_zps0b5e54b2.jpg

Why I think it's better:

1.  There are more than one variety to choose from and they are easily accessible.  (Half the time I couldn't get my hands on the hot chocolate pods for our old machine.  I have been able to find the Tassimo pods at my grocery store, as well as on line through the Tassimo shop, and Amazon.)

2.  The pods are easy to store and easy to use.   They don't drip across the floor when you're trying to move them from the machine into the bin for disposal.

3.  The offer 40 different flavoured pods from hot chocolate . . .  to green and black teas, chai tea . . . and just about every kind of coffee you can imagine.  (Espresso, Costa, Cote D'Or, Carte Noir, etc. and in Canada . . . Tim Hortons!  Decaf and regular!)

  photo SAM_6756_zps71af46f0.jpg

4.  There is no guess work involved in using the pods.  Each pod contains a simple and unique bar code which the machine reads (it's genious) and then uses to create whatever it is you are having . . . perfectly and in quick time!

5.  The Tassimo machine only uses and heats up enough water for the drink you are making.   It is exact, which means you haven't wasted any energy or water.

6.  Tassimo’s fresh water flow-heater ensures that instead of heating the entire reservoir, you get the right amount of water at just the right temperature for a perfect delivery of your chosen drink!

  photo SAM_6833_zps349037a2.jpg

7.  It tastes great!  (Well the hot chocolate does anyways!  I have tried all three different kinds.  Cadbury's, Sucho and Milka.  All fabulous!)

In short I love it!

  photo SAM_6754_zps9f39ceac.jpg

Did you know that 100% of the coffee in Tassimo drinks now comes from Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms. On these farms, natural ecosystems are preserved by growing coffee in harmony with nature. Farmers and their communities benefit from training, education and access to healthcare to help them build a more sustainable future.   That all sounds very good to me!

 photo SAM_6836_zps32f47571.jpg

Just look at that tasty cup of hot chocolate!!

Of course it goes without saying that it's always nice to have a little bit of what you fancy when you are enjoying such a nice drink, and so I baked some of my Whole Lemon Muffins to have with our chocolates!

 photo SAM_6848_zps54a5d3e8.jpg

These muffins are gorgeously delish.   You use a whole lemon, ground up (peel and all) to make them, which gives them a fabulous lemon flavour!

 photo SAM_6845_zps77ee2cd4.jpg

There are also chopped walnuts in them, for an added dimension of flavour.  I do so love toasted walnuts and lemon . . . together they are just wonderful!

  photo SAM_6843_zps456ec34d.jpg

Add to that a gorgeous lemon drizzle icing and you have one very spectacular muffin indeed!  The only down side being (and that all depends on how you look at it) is that the recipe makes rather a lot.

 photo SAM_6839_zps1c1353e9.jpg

Twelve rather large Texas Sized Muffins if you are so inclined, or twenty four regular sized ones, which is a lot of muffins!  Mind you . . . I did cut the recipe in half (it is possible) and got 9 medium large ones.  I had never cut the recipe in half before, so it was nice to know that I could do so without any problems.   Of course they do freeze well also.  Just freeze them before glazing and then glaze them when you are ready to thaw and eat them!!

 photo SAM_6844_zpsae3fae05.jpg

*Whole Lemon Muffins*
Makes 12 very large muffins  
These muffins are fantastic.  An entire ground lemon goes into the mix, giving these the ultimate in lemon flavour.   The addition of a healthy dose of Greek Yogurt ensures that they are moist.  These have to be my absolute favourite all time muffins.  They are meant to be baked in Texas Size muffin tins, but you can bake them in normal muffin tins, giving you roughly twice the number of muffins.  Decrease the baking time by about 5 or 6 minutes in that case.

1 medium unwaxed lemon
1 cup toasted walnuts
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large free range eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 2/3 cups whole fat Greek Yoghurt
For the drizzle glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
few drops vanilla
lemon juice to give you a thick drizzle icing  

 photo SAM_6846_zpsf862dc17.jpg  

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 5.   Butter a 12 cup texas size muffin tin very well, or spray with nonstick cooking spray, or line with paper liners.

Wash the lemon well.  Cut into quarters.  Remove any pips and discard.  Put all of the lemon into the food processor and blitz until the lemon is completely ground up.  Scrape out into a bowl.  (You can add some of the sugar to make this a bit easier if you wish.)  Scrape the lemon out into a bowl.  Tip in the toasted walnuts and blitz them until they are coarsely ground.  Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time.  Beat in the vanilla.  Whisk together the dry ingredients.  Add them a third at a time, alternating with the yoghurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Stir in the lemon and nuts.  Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, dividing it equally amongst the cups.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the tops spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Allow to cool in the tin for ten minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Whisk together the ingredients for the drizzle until thick and smooth.  Drizzle over the cooled muffins.  Allow to set before serving.  Save in an airtight container.

Many thanks to Tassimo for sending me this fabulous machine.  All opinions are my own.
Feel free to follow them on Facebook .





6 comments

  1. Lemon recipes are perfectly refreshing for summer. I made lemon bars last week and another batch of lemon-limoncello cupcakes yesterday. Most everyone likes lemony things : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. A whole lemon?? How intriguing!! Putting these on the must try list for sure! And can I just say you get the COOLEST things to try out?? Making some of your basic fruited scones today, excepte subbing chocolate and cinnamon chips this time. Still my favorite base scone recipe ever!! :) it's getting cloudy today, fingers crossed for some rain... Made me think of you and your UK weather, and how opposite we are! You get sick of rain, I get sick of sun :) Hope you're having a lovely Sunday, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely lemons muffins and lovely coffe maker dear Marie:))) hugsss

    ReplyDelete
  4. These muffins look so good, Marie.
    I have something similar, a whole orange cake, but cant' wait to try your recipe here.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a half batch of these today and put them in normal sized muffin tins as you did. They are so good! I loved that you used the whole lemon, as that gave them a real lemony flavour and the toasted walnuts added a different texture to them. That lemon drizzle icing was very much the icing on the cake - perfection.

    They are a lovely moist muffin and it was very hard to resist taking a second one - but I was good and have frozen the remainder (Though I can hear them calling me from the freezer - I bet they taste good frozen too... ha, ha). My husband has been known to eat a frozen chocolate fairy cake, so perhaps I should not laugh until I've tried it. myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you made and enjoyed these Marie. They are an excellent muffin! I had to laugh at eating frozen muffins. Been there done that. Nothing is safe from my gluttony, haha. xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!